Friday, September 09, 2005

Calf cramp!

Holy treading water, Batman!

Years and years ago, back in Jr. High and High School, I was a pretty good competitive swimmer. I specialized in backstroke and breaststroke, and I rarely lost a race in those two disciplines. I had a passable butterfly, and a decent freestyle, which combined with my back and breast made me okay in the individual medley as well.

Anyhow...a few days ago, after having spent the previous few days in the new pool at Lifetime, I decided to see if I could do a 100m IM. I hadn't swum a length of fly in over 20 years, so I knew that that would be the big struggle; however, I had no idea how bad it would be. I started out okay and was reasonably strong for the first 3/4 of the lap. At that point - and at the same time - both of my calves cramped up. Ever had both calves cramp at the same time? I don't recommend it.

In the end, I toughed it out and was able to struggle along through back, breast, and free in what was probably the slowest time ever swum for 100m IM. Thankfully, I don't know what that time was, despite the looming presence of race clocks at each end of the pool. I don't think I'll be using those clocks anytime soon.

Man...one would think that I've gotten older and fatter or something. Sheesh.

- Mark

No comments: