Saturday, August 28, 2010

Woo hoo!! A Crossfit victory!!

Neat experience today. The CF Leander gang went over to CF ATX for its free Saturday workout, and Old Man Wallace came back with some "software."

Today's workout was a two-person team competition, with each team doing two rounds of Fight Gone Bad.

The format for the workout was as follows:

Two rounds of:
Team member #1 does 1 minute of box jumps, to a 24" box
Team member #2 does same
Team member #1 does 1 minute of rowing, for calories
Team member #2 does same
Both team members rest for two minutes
Team member #1 does 1 minute of push press (75lbs)
Team member #2 does same
Team member #1 does 1 minute of wall ball, to a 10' target, 14lb ball
Team member #2 does same
Team member #1 does 1 minute of 70 lb. kettlebell sumo deadlift high pull
Team member #2 does same


Largely due to having a great partner for this workout (Thanks, James Talley!!), my partner and I won the mens competition, completing a total of 496 reps. We actually got outscored by another team (I'm not sure by how much), but James and I won because we carried a heavier load throughout the workout; i.e. we pressed more, used a 24" box instead of 20", used a 70lb KB, and used a 14lb ball. The next closest team outscored us but under lesser demand.


Prior to the workout, I was really nervous about letting James down. He's younger, clearly in shape, and apparently healthy. I'm 44, still see myself as being Old Fat Mark, and have a tight right shoulder and injured right knee. Considering this, and not wanting James to be disappointed, I used all of that as my excuse for why I might hold him back.



BUT, surprise surprise...I actually held my own pretty well. I don't have our individual numbers, but I think I outrowed him, kept up with him on the press, and was probably just a little bit behind him on the wallball and KB SDHP. I'm sure he kicked my butt on the box jumps, as he just totally cranked them out like he was born doing them. I'm not so good at box jump, and this box was 4" higher than we usually use at CFL. Bottom-line is that, for a 44-year old now former fat guy, I did okay. I'm proud, not only of this win, but also of how far I have come in ten months. Total testimony to CF, CF Leander, hard work, and eating well.


This was a preparatory workout for the upcoming (Sept 25) Fight Gone Bad V, which I will blog about later. The full FGB is three rounds, which I have never done before, so I really need more of the prep work that CFL and the other local gyms are planning for us. I am nervous but very excited about taking part in FGBV.

- Mark

No comments: