Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Hoping isn't enough

Heard in the office today:

"Man, I sure was hoping to have been in smaller jeans by now, but it just ain't happenin'."

Hope all you want, but (1) things don't happen by hoping for them, and (2) things don't just happen.

You make them happen.

And if they don't happen through your efforts, you learn why, learn what to do instead, and do that.

This may mean finding some humility, unlearning what you think you know, and following the knowledge of others who have walked your path.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Hi! Found you blog via the CF Forum, and it is very inspiring.
This short post really sums up my thoughts on exercise and hard work. As a stay at home miltary wife I see so many overweight and out of shape spouses on base. I was/am one of them myself, but I work every day to make sure I'm getting into better shape. I am lucky to have the luxury of several hours of free time, and access to a free gym, so do many of these other spouses. I joke with my husband that instead of cleaning the house, I'm going to the gym, he can either have a fit wife or a clean house. He prefers a fit wife.
Anyway, I hear a similar gripe all the time. People who see me in my gym togs ready to go as soon as I drop the kid off at school always say something like "Oh, I need to lose weight, I should go to the gym like you." I'm always very supportive the first few times I hear that comment. Of course some people need prodding to get their butts in gear, I'll tell them getting there on your first day is not that hard, it's making sure that you go back the next day, and the day after that is the hard part.
But after the 4th or 5th time someone says that to me, and I don't see them in the gym, well, I just don't believe them anymore. Do they want me to say "Oh no, you look great!"? Like you say, talking about it or wishing it wont make those jeans fit. Work, sweat, some pain, and putting down that Double Whopper might.
Sorry for the TL;DR, but I'm feeling fitness-ranty today.