Sunday, December 09, 2007

Back on the rock

What a joy to be back out climbing again yesterday. For some reason, I took over a year off from climbing, and I didn't quite realize until yesterday just how much I missed it.

Dominic, Rebecca, and I met at Rudy's at 8:30, wolfed down a few breakfast tacos, and then headed out to Reimers Ranch for some of Austin's fabulous limestone climbing. We got great weather, easy access to our favorite climbing spot (Dead Cats Wall), and nice scenery of both the Pedernales river and the cute chicks over to our right. :-)

Highlights included:
  • Rebecca getting a little further up her old nemesis route and even further up a challenging little 5.8.
  • Dominic leading a 5.7, perhaps his first lead in roughly the past three years.
  • Dominic cheating (at least, that's what I call it) by using his mongo reach to finish that 5.8 instead of using his feet to finish it the right way. :-)
  • Me doing all of my climbs on lead, despite the long layoff and several extra pounds to get up the wall.
  • Riley's BBQ (in Dripping Springs) and cobbler afterwards. Yummmm
A big thank you to Dominic and Rebecca for getting us out there again after such a long hiatus. I can't wait to do this again soon.

No comments: