Tuesday, December 05, 2006

First pork foray

Despite being Texan (grin), I cranked out two cuts of BBQ pork yesterday, with excellent success. They were both done at the same time on my Brinkmann Gourmet water smoker. The first was a picnic cut pork shoulder, and the other was a Boston Butt. Both were rubbed liberally with a nice rub that I made from a recipe that I found in the book Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook: Recipes and Recollections from the Pit Bosses. They hit the smoker at 1:00pm, with the idea that I'd smoke them for about 5-6 hours and have them ready for dinner. As it turns out, it was so cold here yesterday that I found it tough to keep the temperature up consistently enough to meet that timeline. So...spaghetti instead for dinner. The two hunks-o-pork came off of the smoker at about 9:30 and were terrific. I wasted no time in pulling some of the pork off, tossing it onto a bun with some sauce and pickle slices, and savoring the results of my hard work. Good stuff.

Now...what we're going to do with all that pork is a bit of a mystery, but there was no way that I was going to stand out there in the cold and only do one roast. I'm sure we'll figure out some way to make sure it doesn't go to waste.

Incidentally, I really like that Legends of Texas Barbecue book. If you're into Texas BBQ and its history, I heartily recommend picking up this book.

- Mark

No comments: