Tuesday, November 08, 2005

fly fishing report - South San Gabriel River & US183

After not having been out fishing for several months and now having a vacation this week, I ventured out to the 183 crossing of the South San Gabriel on Tuesday (11/8) to see what I could scare up. Something told me not to go, that there probably wasn't enough water in the river to make it worthwhile, but I went anyhow. I shoulda listened to my instinct.

Suffice to say that I fished downstream from the bridge for about four hours, catching only one bluegill between the bridge and CR276 (don't hold me to that...I'm not sure that's the right CR). Yes, I walked all the frickin way down to the next crossing. "How?", you might ask, "that's a long wade." Yes, it's a long wade UNLESS THERE'S NO WATER for about half of the distance.

Anyhow...when I got back to the upper pool that did have plenty of water, I was pretty much defeated, but I finally tied on a muddler minnow and ended up shocked as hell when I was able to catch four cute little bass and one REAL nice bluegill. That last bluegill was the highlight of the day, as he put up a decent fight on my 5wt. The bass each played around for a while, and a couple of them jumped once or twice, but all in all their fights weren't that great.

Think I'll wait for a little more water before trying this again.


- Mark

No comments: